Always follow your veterinarian’s recommendations and be sure to read and follow the directions on the label of the specific ear cleaner you are using. It is very important to use ear cleaning products appropriately. It is just as important to use the correct product for treating your pet’s unique condition since using the wrong type of product can be harmful and cause more problems.
Direction to clean ears:
- Hold the pinna (ear flap) erect.Fill the ear canal with ear cleaner.
- Massage the base of the ear. This will work the cleaner into the ear and help loosen up any debris.
- Let your pet shake their head.
- Wipe the debris out of the ear using cotton balls or gauze. Take care not to insert anything into the ear farther than you can see. Do not use Q-tips as they will only push the debris deeper into the ear canal.
- Repeat these steps several times until no more debris is visible.
- Ensure that you thoroughly dry the ear canal after cleaning. Removing moisture from the ear is a very important step to preventing infection.
WARNING: IN THE CASE OF IMPACTED EAR CANALS THIS PROCEDURE WILL ONLY CLEAN THE EARS SUPERFICIALLY. TO ENSURE THE EAR CANALS ARE CLEANED THROUGHLY INSPECTION WITH THE VIDEO-OTOSCOPE MUST BE DONE IN ORDER TO SEE DEEPLY INTO THE EARS WHERE BIOFILM OFTEN GETS STUCK. MOST EAR MEDICATIONS FAIL TO TREAT EAR CONDITIONS WHEN THE BIOFILM IS PRESENT.